Ninja Warriors: An Athletic Event hosted by NSCD

Savana Sheldon, Staff Reporter

Have you ever seen the TV show American Ninja Warriors? If you have then you have a good idea of what Fairview’s Intensive Learning Classroom, ILC, did on Tuesday, January 29. The National Sports Center for the Disabled, NSCD, set up an obstacle course for all abilities including those in wheelchairs. Unlike the TV show, if you fell off the obstacle course you did not fall into a pool of water. You simply tried again. Obstacles included: climbing walls, rope pulls, backwards and forwards running, and crawling through tunnels.

The event was sponsored and organized by Jen Dixon, a PE teacher at Monarch High School. 14 students from Fairview participated in the district wide event. Boulder, Centaurus, Broomfield, and Monarch High Schools also sent students.

Sonny Cortez, Fairview junior, stated he liked the “soldier crawl through the tent best”. He also liked the non-competitive atmosphere and how everyone supported each other.

The day was finished with a catered lunch by Subway. Sonny thought the subs were delicious and liked socializing with students from other schools.

All students look forward to the next event, Unified Basketball starting April 1. Fairview will have several practices then play each of the four high schools that participated in a competitive game. Two of those games taking place at home and two away games. Please come out and support.