The Royal Banner

• December 7Stressed Out? That sucks.

• December 3Finals are actually in 10 days and I have no time to study. Wack.

• November 27Did you know that the Royal Banner and Lance Yearbook are both student run publications? Personally, I think that is pretty cool.

Brett KavaNAH

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brett KavaNAH

Darya Navid, Humor Section Editor

A temper tantrum, an almost mastery level of avoiding specific questions and a display of complete ignorance, the Judge Brett Kavanaugh Supreme Court Appointment hearing had no shortage of these plights.

With a 51-49 vote in favor of moving on to the final stage of voting this morning, the inevitability that Brett Kavanaugh will be a Supreme Court Justice dawns on America more and more each day.

As Kavanaugh’s final confirmation vote approaches, it is important that every student, teacher and person residing in the United States of America takes the time to know what kind of rabbit hole this country is about to dive head first into.

Earlier in the 2018, when people heard the name Brett Kavanaugh, their minds most likely went “Brett Kava-who?” But Trump’s nomination of the Federal Judge and a humorous SNL skit have changed that.

“Matt Damon on SNL being Brett Kavanaugh and my children watching this and just laughing” said language arts teacher Angela Hunt. “And this is basically what is actually happening.”

As the inevitable doom of his appointment as a Supreme Court Justice begins to approach more and more people are wondering how this case even came this far?

Throughout his trial, Kavanaugh expressed his opinions very passionately, even going so far as to yell at the Senators before him. As this trial is essentially a job interview, many people were shocked to see and hear the Judge’s outburst.

As language arts teacher Carla Roitz said, “It’s hard when you have been controlling  things your whole life and all of a sudden you might not be able to control everything. It’s hard and scary to lose power, and I mean I have no pity for them, but I do think that’s at the root of this.”

27 years after Anita Hill gave a testimony against Clarence Thomas, many people are wondering how something like this could be happening again; however, there are those who are instead wondering why it is taking so long.

It’s more important now, now that he is running for a position of power, that people are saying what happened and it’s important to how we see him,” explains sophomore Imani Fernandez-Gorbea.

If selected to serve on the Supreme Court, Kavanaugh would be serving a life term. If he is a man who could potentially abuse this power, or has a bias when listening to specific case, his appointment to have catastrophic repercussions.

“I mean you are supposed to step down or something as a judge when you know you have bais, like what’s he gonna do when a women or a Democrat? Like is he gonna recuse himself from everything? For everything? And he wouldn’t, and I don’t trust that he would do that,” said Hunt.

This sudden realization of how screwed America could be, however, is only dawning on a few people. Most are not paying attention, and some don’t even care what happens.

We have become numb to it,” said Roitz.  

The roller coaster of a ride that this hearing has been will all come to an end after a Procedural Vote on Friday, and a Final Vote on Saturday.

Hunt said, “What makes me have hope is that younger people just seem to be logical.”

If people are starting to trust the generation that thought the Tide Pod challenge was a good idea, America might actually have something to be worried about. If we didn’t already.

About the Writer
Darya Navid, Humor Section Editor

Darya is a senior and this is her second year on staff. As a humor section editor she plans to produce engaging and entertaining content.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Brett KavaNAH”

1. Jill Sheldon on October 8th, 2018 9:28 am

I think it would be fair to also include a counter argument. Displaying only one article that is very anti-Kavanaugh is rather close-minded. Not everyone in town is a liberal Democrat and many people in Boulder are happy that Kavanaugh has been confirmed. Please consider showing both sides of an argument/issue in the future. Thank you.

2. Henry Larson on October 8th, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi Jill, thank you for your comment. We appreciate all feedback on our work at the Royal Banner, and I wanted to mention that this article was published in the Humor section. This section and the Opinion and Politics Section will have the opinions of our writers and reporters. In the Student News, Entertainment, Sports and Audio sections, we do our very best to be un-biased and to present all sides of a story. If you are interested in hearing the opinions of more students about the Kavanaugh hearings, the show that I produce, the Knight Show, has an episode on the confirmations that does strive to be non-partisan. Once again, thank you for your response, and we look forward to hearing from you.

3. Jill Sheldon on October 8th, 2018 9:08 pm

Thank you for your response, Henry. I appreciate the invitation to the Knight Show. I believe that no politician or government official is above some mocking/teasing and certainly there are aspects of the Kavanaugh issue that are humorous no matter the political affiliation. However, I wasn’t enjoying the “humor” of this article asserting “the sudden realization of how ‘screwed’ America could be” due to the confirmation of a Supreme Court Justice. There is absolutely no humor in writing an article viciously bashing a man whose family, reputation and an impeccable 30+ year career has been tarnished forever by dubious allegations and not one shred of proof. I was very offended by this article and sad to read such a misrepresentation of the entire case. Crafting an opinion based on what is said on SNL is woefully ignorant, and I hope to read an actual humorous article in the future. Thank you.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Brett KavaNAH

Humor

I Spy at Fairview High

• Brett KavaNAH

Humor

Snow Day declared for Fairview High School

• Brett KavaNAH

Humor

The October Issue Spot the Difference Answers

• Brett KavaNAH

Humor

Weather Forecasts for the Week of October 15th

• Brett KavaNAH

Humor

The Do’s and Don’ts of the College Essay

• Brett KavaNAH

Humor

A Review of the Oscars

• Brett KavaNAH

Humor

“Gran Hotel” is Back on Netflix

• Brett KavaNAH

Opinion and Politics

Global Warming is Here; We Have to Act Now

• Brett KavaNAH

Opinion and Politics

An argument for stronger STEM education at Fairview

• Brett KavaNAH

Entertainment

Motivational Mondays with Anya Week #4

The Student News Site of Fairview High School
Brett KavaNAH