Boulder Tightens Restrictions, College Board Reschedules Tests, BVSD Announces Plan for Online Classes

Health.mil

COVID-19 is a novel(or new) form of a coronavirus.

Henry Larson and Ava Svolos

Superintendent Rob Anderson announced in an email to families and staff that BVSD is preparing to implement their home learning plan in the event that school is closed past March 29th.

Grades 6-12 are to receive priority instruction based on core classes and graduation requirements, and these resources are available in the print form on a case-by-case basis. After spring break, teachers will reach out to students with their plan for continuing their class digitally. Self-help resources will also be provided on the district’s website, for general questions.

However, this situation could develop, so families are expected to receive more precise information as time goes on.

“As this is a rapidly changing situation, information and circumstances may change at any time. We will contact you again before Spring Break with more details,” said Anderson in the email.

On Monday, the College Board announced they would be cancelling the May 2nd SAT and implementing flexible AP testing options for those upcoming exams.

“The College Board will provide future additional SAT testing opportunities for students as soon as feasible in place of canceled administrations. We’ll be as flexible as possible to give students the best chance to show their skills and stay on the path to college,” said the College Board, in a prepared statement.

Students had previously expressed concern about mandatory testing, as the exams are scheduled to take place in the coming months.

Over the weekend, local and state government officials ramped up efforts to enforce social distancing, as dozens of new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Colorado.

Two of those cases were reported in Boulder county, raising the total count to three.

However, concerns have mounted over the lack of available tests for those experiencing symptoms of the virus.

“The question I hear most from folks in the community is, ‘I’m concerned. Can I get the test?’ and those folks probably aren’t going to get the test right away. We’re going to prioritize testing for those folks who we think are at the greatest risk,” said Urbina, the Medical Officer for Boulder Public Health.

Boulder City Manager Jane Brautigam issued an order that will ban gathering of 20+ people in public areas. The order came just shortly before Boulder Boulder organizers announced they would postpone the race, previously scheduled for May.

Boulder county has yet to experience the high volume of cases many other parts of the state have, but the number is expected to rise.

Late Monday evening, in an effort to limit public exposure, Governor Jared Polis gave an executive order to close all theaters, casinos and gyms, and for all restaurants and bars to stop “dine-in” procedures for the next 30 days.

Polis said that restaurants could, “remain open but that’s for take-out, delivery and room service.”

Earlier in the weekend Polis ordered companies to close all downhill skiing resorts on Saturday.

The order was given in hopes of slowing the spread of the virus, especially as resorts enter their busiest weeks of spring break.

“For those who depend on employment in our Colorado high country, the uncertainty of how long they will be out of a job is terrifying. It is with a profound sense of pain and grim responsibility that I take the agonizing action that this moment demands,” said Polis regarding the order.

For the latest information about COVID-19, visit the CDPHE’s website.