Ave atque Vale: Hail and Goodbye

Lynn LiCalsi at the Impact on Education Awards, 2024.

After 23 years of teaching Latin, Lynn LiCalsi is retiring with the graduating seniors of 2024. This year, during the Impact on Education awards, LiCalsi was nominated for and won an award— a well deserved tribute to her passionate and dedicated teaching. Her inspiring spirit and neverending kindness has been remembered throughout the years as she’s become one of Fairview’s most beloved teachers. 

From Mrs. LiCalsi:

“Ave atque Vale” – Hail and Goodbye

(Gaius Valerius Catullus)

Teaching at Fairview has been at the forefront of my life for 23 years, and it has been inspiring. I’ve worked under four Superintendents and six Principals. The faculty at Fairview has sustained and motivated me. Their love of learning and interest in personal growth make this place thrive. Fairview has provided me with support for experimentation with various teaching methods. My Language Department colleagues are the best people to work with because of their dedication to their subject matter and insistence on sharing their passion with students. Ms. Mellizo once dressed up as Cleopatra, and sat in a French teacher’s husband’s sports car with our former Principal, who was dressed in a toga and wore a laurel wreath, all to do me the favor of posing for a photo where the slogan was Life in the PAST lane! Warning: Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear! Yes, the past is always present and it tells us something! We should look, listen, and learn. It’s good to remember that. 

At Fairview, students and faculty together make learning rich and rewarding. Students have provided me with incredible energy. I believe that sharing the past affects their future. Some highlights of my career include cleaning authentic Roman coins in Latin II, where we built a contraption of batteries and wires to clean our coins using electrolysis; attending the Colorado State Convention yearly, with busloads of 60+  students to compete each year; having the first all-girl Certamen (quiz bowl team) to win at State competitions; coaching the Latin Dream Team of Thomas Davids, Louie Weimer, and Marshall Carpenter, who they swept the State Championship for years; supporting students for Leadership Positions with the National Junior Classical League; regularly taking students to a bronze factory where they learned about casting statues; teaching in the CU SUCCEED program so that students in upper level Latin classes could earn college credit; creating the ever popular VARSITY LATIN tee-shirt our students wore every Friday; putting on a full Roman Comedy in Latin, and building a set with my Latin 3 classes; writing and publishing three novellas that included student artwork; establishing and coaching the Figure Skating Team – Fairview Figures – for nine years; coaching students new to the Tennis Team; traveling to Europe with students on Classical Extravaganzas; inviting the Rocky Mountain Romans to campus so that students could learn about the Roman Army first hand; inspring students to create Trick-of Treat Street rooms each year with a variety of unique games including Pin the Nose on Publius Ovidius Naso.

I have taught every level of Latin to all kinds of students.

Learning Latin provides students with a solid linguistic foundation. Latin isn’t dead. It lives in our Latin, French, and Spanish classes.

On a personal level, I want to share that Fairview has witnessed happy, challenging, and tragic times in my life. Over my years here I lost both parents, I experienced a divorce after 27 years of marriage, and I celebrated a very happy second marriage. My children, Adam and Sophia, both loved Fairview. It was a happy place for them. Recently, tragically, I lost my son. This is the greatest loss of my life. Now I am learning to live with grief.  I miss Adam every minute of every day. Two graduating Seniors surprised me by coming to my house to sit Shivah. At a time of unspeakable sadness, those students, Jasper Hale, and Elias Putterman helped me find the strength to return to school where, somehow, I was able to temporarily snap back into the happy, positive, and ever-giving teacher I had been. Dr. Scarlet Chopin was instrumental in making it possible for me to return. She arranged my schedule so that it would be easier for me to come back to work in a place where I still see my son every day. Get to know her on a personal level. It is easy to find fault with people from afar. Her job is hard. I wouldn’t want it. Her kindness and compassion are genuine. Like all of us, she is constantly learning and striving to do her best. Work with her, not against her. Dux Femina Facti – The Leader of the Undertaking was a Woman.

There have been many changes at Fairview since I arrived in 2001. We had relentless eight-period days,  dangerous pranks, overcrowded halls, and traditions that needed revision. Over the years, the greatest change I have witnessed is accepting others who aren’t like you. This generation is much more sensitive to and respectful of differences in people. I see a better future with these more compassionate and accepting individuals.

It is now time to go. I leave Fairview in good hands. I have taught several faculty members including Claire Broaddus, Dylan Muzny, and Michael Belford.

My years as a tap-dancing clown and my undergraduate and graduate studies in Latin and English prepared me well for this meaningful profession. Teachers, stretch your students. Teach them how to find joy even in things that don’t initially interest them, things they find difficult, or things that simply are not to their taste. This will prepare them for any struggle in life. Parents, let go of the strings and let Fairview provide a safety net where your children can fall and recover. After all, it isn’t the grades anyone remembers. Congratulations to the class of MMXXIV. Embrace change!

post scriptum: Special thanks to Mr. Peoples and Mr. Niedringhaus for presenting me with a RUDIS – a wooden sword given to gladiators when they are freed. 

Lynn LiCalsi, Latin Teacher