An Update on Security Cameras

Zander Gilbert, Staff Reporter

According to Principal Don Stensrud, there will be a total of 122 security cameras around the school by mid-December, 84 inside and 38 outside. The cameras are to be placed in common areas such as the student center, hallways and the café.

The analytics on the cameras are able to find a specific person based on descriptions of height, clothing and hair color. They can also track someone throughout the school if necessary.

“Last year, when we had our threatening [color guard] person, we could have done analytics on him, and found him before he even made it to his Latin class,” said Stensrud.

The cameras also record anytime there is motion, and the records are kept for two weeks.

The cameras are meant to create a safer learning environment for teachers and students alike. Having cameras will give students peace of mind, deter potential threats and help stop actual threats.

These cameras could either be really helpful, or they could be a breach of privacy and a waste of money.

“Adding security cameras inside and outside of the school doesn’t seem to change the environment of the school that much,” said Corben Cox, senior.

Some teachers, however, disagree.

“I think [the cameras] are a super worthwhile investment,” said Amy Paa-Rogers, an economics teacher “There’s been a lot of evidence in other school districts that [they] deter theft and bullying, etc. that happens in the common area.”

As for privacy, “no, [it] is not a concern for me,” said Cox. “I don’t think they will change the dynamic of the school much.”

“Our society is changing, and our presumption of what is private has changed,” said Paa-Rogers. “Now, you have no presumption of privacy in a public sphere. I wouldn’t want them in the classrooms, or in the bathrooms or in any of those other places.”

Overall, the cameras, are not a waste of resources, and won’t have any negative effects.

“I think for students, it makes them more safe,” said Paa-Rogers. “These cameras tip the balance towards what people should be doing, and what’s right.”