What Freshman Should Expect Coming to Fairview

Albert Handorean and Derek Sexton

Before going to high school, students might get an idea of what it is like from movies such as “High School Musical” or from family members, but actually going to high school is something that most kids can’t imagine until they do it.  Just like years in the past, new freshmen have come to Fairview. Wednesday, August 17, 2022, was freshman orientation for the 2022-2023 school year. 

Most students have different interpretations of high school and what to expect coming as a freshman. They may have different ideas based on the background they come from and/or additional information.

“Everyone told me it would be easy coming from an academically focused school but it’s a lot more work than I expected,” said freshman Siri Anderson. “[High school is] Not the same at all, it’s not what I expected.”. 

Whether it be the mass of students or increased workload. Freshman see Fairview from different perspectives, challenging or not. And for some, not much really changed at all.

“It’s been fun, you know I thought there would be more kids, but it’s like what I expected,” said freshman Aiden Kuhne. 

The teachers of Fairview try to help freshmen transition from middle school to high school. Social studies teacher Katherine Sterling used to be a middle school teacher and is now working here at Fairview, so she has an understanding of the difference between middle school and high school.

“I would say the biggest difference [Between middle and high schoolers], high schoolers tend to think that they are mini adults and at least middle schoolers are aware that they are still kids and they are goofy and funny. They are both at the same level where they are still learning how to learn because in middle school you are in that transition going into high school where you have to be more independent and be able to self-regulate yourself better. Freshman and sophomore year you are slowly working your way into becoming an adult but you’re not an adult yet so you are in the process of still growing up” said Sterling.

Students have their ideas of what the change from middle school and high school will be like.
“It’s a lot better, the teachers are more chill, the schools more chill and bigger,” said freshman Aiden Kuhne

Whether it’s what you expected, or not, high school is full of change and new experiences, so savor every moment. Because before you know it, you’ll be looking at what to expect as a freshman, in college!

“Enjoy it while it lasts because it goes by so fast,” said senior Emmy Croasdale.