NBA Offseason

NBA+Offseason

Zev Cohen, Staff Reporter

Following the 2021-22 NBA season and the Golden State Warriors being crowned as champions at the end of an exciting playoffs, the offseason is now leading into the 2022-23 season. Many offseason moves and re-signings have helped shape the teams’ current rosters, with several big-name stars suiting up for a new team to begin the year. Looking ahead into the season, the Eastern Conference is looking deadly with new starting fives ready to battle against the Western Conference’s superstars. Here is a rundown of the major stories of this offseason. 

Rudy Gobert to the Timberwolves

Earlier in the offseason, the Utah Jazz traded three-time all-star and three-time Defensive Player of the Year center Rudy Gobert to the Minnesota Timberwolves in exchange for Malik Beasly, Patrick Beverly, Jared Vanderbilt, Leandro Bolmaro, Walker Kessler, and five future first round picks. Gobert is a league-renowned star, but Timberwolves fans have been critical of the team giving up of the equivalent of ten players for a single player. However, the addition of Gobert to Minnesota alongside Karl-Anthony Towns, Anthony Edwards, and D’Angelo Russel instantly make them a team to watch next season, and help certify that the Jazz are in the process of a rebuild.

Donovan Mitchell to the Cavaliers

The Utah Jazz traded away their second all-star, high-flying and sharp shooting guard Donvan Mitchell to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Collin Sexton, Lauri Markennen, Ochai Agbaji, two future first round picks and two draft pick swaps. Adding Mitchell to the Cavaliers’ starting five makes that group contain three all-stars, with Darius Garland and Jarrett Allen on the floor. This makes the Cavaliers a true contender for the Eastern Conference. With the loss of both their big-name players and the acquisitions of seven first-round picks in two trades, the Jazz are now in a good position to rebuild in years going forwards.

Patrick Beverly to the Lakers

The final offseason move involving the Utah Jazz was the trade of guard Patrick Beverly for Talen Horton-Tucker and Stanley Johnson. Beverly is a defensive specialist who hopes to contribute to the Lakers after a solid year with the Timberwolves, and the Jazz gain two young players with room for development over the next couple of years.

Dejounte Murray to the Hawks

The San Antonio Spurs traded all-star guard Dejounte Murray and center Jock Landale to Atlanta in exchange for forward Danilo Gallinari and three future first round picks. Murray made his first appearance as an all-star this past year and was one of the most frequent in the league to record a triple-double and join Trae Young to make one of the league’s deadliest backcourts. Gallinari has since been traded to the Boston Celtics and later suffered an ACL injury while playing overseas, and will remain out indefinitely.

Malcom Brogdon to the Celtics

Another trade involving the Celtics is the swap of Daniel Theis, Aaron Neismith, Malik Fitts, Juwan Morgan, Nik Stauskas, and a first-round pick to the Indiana Pacers for Malcom Brogdon. This trade relieves Boston of several assets and adds a “true” point guard to their roster following a loss in last year’s finals.

Christian Wood to the Mavericks

The Dallas Mavericks acquired center Christian Wood while giving up Boban Marjonivic, Trey Burke, Marquese Chriss, Sterling Brown, and Wendell Moore to the Rockets. This gives the Mavericks a stronger center alongside superstar Luka Doncic, while also giving several role players to Houston.

As of the scheduled release for the 2022-23 season, the Christmas Day games have been announced. The NBA historically prioritizes Christmas Day games for the most exciting matchups, and five games headline this year’s. The day starts with the Philadelphia 76ers playing the Knicks in New York, followed by the Lakers playing the Mavericks in Dallas. The Bucks and Celtics will rematch after last year’s playoffs, as well as the Grizzlies and Warriors later that day. Finally, the Suns will play the Nuggets in Denver, with the Nuggets projected to be fully healthy and the Suns as deadly as ever.

What Fairview Thinks

Several Fairview personnel have their own opinion about the current NBA. Says junior Avery Zapin, 

“I’m most excited about seeing a healthy Nuggets team and seeing how well they do,” said junior Avery Zapin. “I think they could win it all.”. Truly an optimistic perspective to have going into the year. In another opinion about the offseason moves, Zapin said “We lost Monte Morris, and we gained Ish Smith. He’s ok, but I think Morris is better,” added Zapin. Not just the students are anticipating an exciting season, as some staff have their own opinions about the league. “Each year I’m kinda excited to see what the Cavaliers do.” said counselor Todd Eagles. On the topic of offseason trades, Eagles stated: “The Rudy Gobert trade … they already have Towns, so it’s kinda like how are they gonna pair it together, they have a really young athletic core … it’s just putting it together.”

This season will be as unpredictable as ever, with us NBA fans ready and excited to see how it plays out.