Independent News about Fairview and the World

The Royal Banner

The Royal Banner

The Royal Banner

Polls

Do you like the website

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Polls

Do you like the website

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Block Schedule Bemusement

Elliott Pease
Master schedule in front office

Last year, Fairview made a controversial change in the usual weekly schedule: block days would be on Tuesday and Wednesday instead of the usual Wednesday and Thursday orientation. Many students disliked this decision, and Fairview responded accordingly. Now, block days are back to the Wednesday/Thursday schedule. The question is: why did they change it in the first place?

The main problem with the Wednesday/Thursday schedule is access time being on Thursday. Students who have a test on a Wednesday wouldn’t have access to the same resources when compared to students who have the same test on Thursday. With the Tuesday/Wednesday schedule, this isn’t an issue, as it sets the access time to be Tuesday morning.

This change was implemented as a “one-year experiment” said Kristine Keel, assistant principal at Fairview.

Most students didn’t have a strong opinion about the shift, however, the ones that did felt strongly opposed to the Tuesday-Wednesday block.

“It’s so much better having block days Wednesday/Thursday,” said Luka Kosovic (12) about the shift away from Tuesday-Wednesday block. “Then Friday is a nice ending to the week.” 

This year, students were glad to learn that Fairview has changed the schedule back to its previous state. This year, block days will occur on Wednesdays and Thursdays again. 

Believe it or not, students actually had a say in this change.

“It was student feedback,” said Keel. “It was department chairs, it was teachers, it was the community and everything like that [that led to the change back].”

“Wednesday/Thursday block days are good, better than Tuesday/Wednesday,” said Danny Bernard (11). “I like the fact that I don’t have to come back for two days with a messed up sleep schedule, just one.”